The National Defense Commission did not elaborate on the specific nature of the relationship between Huawei and the Chinese government, but pointed out that it has seen clear evidence of collusion between Huawei and the “Chinese Communist Party System.” Tobias Ellwood, chairman of the National Defense Commission, said: “Western countries must step up their unity to check and balance China’s technological dominance” and “we must not abandon national security for short-term technological development.”
In this regard, Huawei said that this report lacks credibility. “This is based on opinions rather than facts. We are sure that people will see through these unfounded allegations of collusion and will remember Huawei’s contribution to the UK over the past 20 years,” a Huawei spokesperson said.
July said: remove Huawei 5G equipment before 2027
Previously, on July 14, the British government publicly stated that it would ban the purchase of new Huawei 5G equipment to build the country’s communications network after December 31, 2020. At the same time, it plans to gradually remove Huawei’s 5G equipment from its communications network by 2027. Remove.
Prior to this, the United States was the first country in the West to also take the lead in sanctions against Huawei. The United States and its allies claimed that Huawei’s technology and hardware equipment may become China’s spy tools. Huawei has always denied such allegations.
The National Defense Commission expressed its support for the decision of Prime Minister Johnson’s government to ban Huawei equipment in 5G networks in July. However, the National Defense Commission also gave further opinions: developments may prompt the British government to move this deadline to 2025.
Huawei’s “First World” defeat
On June 30, 2020, the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) listed Huawei and ZTE as threats to US national security. Affected by this, Huawei and ZTE operators in rural areas of the United States must replace their existing related equipment from the network. At the same time, they must not use the subsidies of the Federal General Service Fund to purchase any equipment from Huawei and ZTE. The fund amount For 8.3 billion U.S. dollars.
In fact, the relevant actions taken by the United States against Huawei can be traced back to 2011. According to a report in October of that year by the Wall Street Journal, Huawei has become Iran’s leading supplier of telecommunications equipment, including “monitoring technology that can be used for surveillance.” Huawei said that it “has never participated in any part of the world, nor has it provided any services related to monitoring or filtering technology and equipment.”
There are too many details about the relevant events. We directly pulled the timeline to 2018. In January of that year, according to the proposal of the US Government Communications Protection Act (the bill prohibits US government entities from using Huawei and ZTE products and equipment), the requirements The Federal Communications Commission investigates the pressure from the company and the government. On April 17, 2018, the US Federal Communications Commission voted 5 to 0 to ban the use of federal funds to purchase network equipment from companies deemed to pose a threat to US national security.
In December 2018, Meng Wanzhou, the daughter of Huawei’s vice chairman, chief financial officer and founder Ren Zhengfei, was arrested in Canada because Huawei was suspected of violating the US sanctions agreement on Iran. Canada executed the arrest at the request of the US government.
In May 2019, the U.S. Department of Commerce included Huawei on the “Entity List.” According to the subsequent changes in the “List” and related regulations, after September 15, 2020, foreign companies that use U.S. software and technology are prohibited from placing semiconductors on semiconductors. If the product is sold to Huawei, if you want to conduct related transactions, you must first apply for a license from the US Department of Commerce.
At the same time, the United States has been putting pressure on its allies to ask countries not to use Huawei equipment in the construction of 5G networks.
In August 2018, Australia excluded Huawei from the country’s 5G network construction.
In November 2018, the New Zealand government banned wireless network operator Spark from using Huawei technology in 5G networks.
In December 2018, Japan introduced regulations prohibiting the use of communication equipment of some public institutions from manufacturers who may have concerns about national security. This move effectively excluded Huawei from its 5G construction.
September 13-The Canadian government hinted that if the federal government bans the use of equipment produced by China’s Huawei in 5G networks, it may not compensate major telecommunications providers. It is reported that the relevant compensation may be as high as 1 billion Canadian dollars. Prior to June, Canada’s two largest telecommunications operators decided to cooperate with Ericsson and Nokia to build 5G networks. As a member of the Five Eyes Alliance (US, UK, Australia, New Zealand), Canada is believed to have not publicly banned Huawei, but it is actually doing so.
According to news on July 22, the French authorities have informed telecom operators (SFR and Bouygues Telecom) that plan to purchase Huawei’s 5G equipment that they will not be able to renew their license once the equipment license expires. And this move will disguise and effectively eliminate Huawei from the French mobile network.
In January 2020, the European Union announced that member states can exclude “high-risk” suppliers from the construction of 5G core networks or restrict the use of its equipment and technology. This move is considered to be aimed at Huawei.
In early July, the Italian government was revealed to be ready to change its course and consider whether to exclude Huawei from 5G construction. The Italian telecommunications operator Telecom Italia “turned out Huawei” in the bidding for 5G core equipment in Italy and Brazil.
However, Luigi De Vecchis, President of Huawei Italy, responded that unlike the “political decision” of the United Kingdom, Telecom Italia’s decision is commercial. Vecchis said: “We respect this decision. It is a commercial, not a political decision. It involves one of many parts of the network… We regret this, but we will continue to cooperate with Telecom Italia. Cooperate with other companies such as Vodafone.”
Singapore’s largest telecommunications company said in June this year that it decided to use Nokia and Ericsson products to build the country’s 5G network.
The Dutch government has still not decided whether to ban Huawei, but the main local telecommunications company KPN has stated that it will not use Huawei’s products in the core components of the network, and will only use it in some “less sensitive” parts.