Rich power supply and power adapter reference design
ON Semiconductor’s power supply solutions cover AC-DC power supplies and adapters and DC-DC power supplies, and provide various reference designs. The most typical is the GreenPoint® reference design for internal and external power supplies. These open reference designs provide a development roadmap for efficient power supply design. With the help of schematics, bills of materials, Gerber files, design instructions, test results and other documents, customers can quickly enter the market. The reference design complies with all relevant global energy efficiency standards and provides an opportunity to enter the global market with one design.
The following reference designs and example circuits have embodied the characteristics of ON Semiconductor’s power solution from many aspects.
1) Single-chip CCM PFCLLC solution for 310 W ATX power supply: adopts NCP1910 high-performance CCM PFC LLC combination (Combo) controller, which meets 80 PLUS? Gold-level energy efficiency specifications; integrates ON/OFF and power OK (Power OK) ) Signal operation conforms to the ATX12V specification; easy to configure the startup and shutdown sequence to meet the hold time and power-down warning requirements.
Figure 1: High-performance single-chip CCM PFC LLC combination controller for 310 W ATX power supply
2) 240 W integrated PC power supply: 12 V, 20 A switching power supply (SMPS) for high-efficiency integrated PC power supply uses a frequency clamp power factor correction front end controlled by NCP1605, NCP1397 provides half-bridge resonance LLC control, and NCP4303 provides Synchronous rectification on the secondary side.
Figure 2: 240 W integrated PC power supply
3) 300 W ultra-thin LCD TV power supply reference design: It is an ultra-thin LCD TV power supply design with a circuit board height of only 8 mm, using NCP1631 for interleaved frequency clamp critical conduction power factor correction, and NCP1053A integrated switching regulator Provides a low-power standby state (Pin <25 mW in off mode); the high-efficiency NCP1379 quasi-resonant flyback converter provides power for signal processing and audio amplifiers.
Figure 3: 300 W ultra-thin LCD TV power supply reference design
4) 65 W AC-DC notebook computer power adapter: is a 19V, 3.4A flyback design for notebook computer power adapters; it uses NCP1236 fixed frequency PWM flyback controller with integrated high voltage start, Under-voltage protection and over-power protection functions; its average energy efficiency is> 87%, in line with Energy Star 2.0 standards, and no-load input power is <100 mW.
Figure 4: Comparison of 65 W AC-DC notebook power adapter efficiency with output power and input line voltage
5) 60 W quasi-resonant power adapter: 19 V quasi-resonant power adapter can be used for notebook computer power adapter; it adopts NCP1380 quasi-resonant flyback controller with valley lock function to prevent transformer audible noise at light load; average Energy efficiency> 87%, in line with Energy Star 2.0 standards, no-load input power <100 mW.
Figure 5: 60 W quasi-resonant power adapter
6) 48 W universal input printer power adapter: 24V flyback power adapter for printers can provide 30 W steady state and 48 W transient capability, standby mode power consumption 7.25 V/70 mA; adopts NCP1219 current mode flyback The controller, with dynamic self-powered function, is a cost-effective design with low component count.
Figure 6: 48 W universal input printer power adapter
7) 40W AC-DC power adapter: is a compact, high-performance 12V, 3.3A flyback power adapter; it uses a highly integrated small TSOP-6 package NCP1250 fixed frequency flyback controller, average energy efficiency> 87% , The no-load input power under low input voltage conditions is 33 mW.
Figure 7: 40W AC-DC power adapter
8) 22 W offline forward converter power supply: This is a 12 V, maximum 2 A (22 W continuous power) offline power supply, using NCP1028 monolithic switching regulator; simple and compact design can achieve low EMI and high energy efficiency , Can be used for white goods, electricity meters, and low-energy-consumption communication equipment.
Figure 8: 22 W offline forward converter power supply
Comprehensive combination of energy-efficient controllers and discrete components
In addition to the above power reference design, ON Semiconductor also provides a full range of power semiconductor devices, from highly integrated power factor controllers, AC-DC controllers, DC-DC controllers to discrete MOSFETs, rectifiers,diodeAnd transistors, etc.
1) Power factor controller: including NCP1605, NCP1607, NCP1608, NCP1631, NCP1651, NCP1652, NCP1653 and NCP1654, etc. The comprehensive product portfolio supports various PFC topologies, including 8-pin continuous conduction mode (CCM) PFC controller, 8-pin critical conduction mode (CrM) PFC controller, integrated CrM and fixed frequency discontinuous conduction mode (DCM) ) PFC controller, single-stage flyback PFC controller, and 2-phase interleaved PFC controller.
Table 1: Overview of the energy-efficient PFC controllers of various topologies of ON Semiconductor
2) Secondary side controller: NCP4303 can realize synchronous rectification control for CCM, DCM and QR flyback applications, accurate and true secondary side zero current detection (with adjustable threshold), and automatic parasitic inductance compensation input.
Figure 9: Typical application example of NCP4303: DCM or QR flyback converter
3) AC-DC controller and voltage regulator: rich multi-functional combination supports fixed frequency and variable frequency; different topologies, from traditional flyback to half-bridge resonance using forward active clamp; wide range of cost-effective options , From cost-effective devices to highly integrated controllers and regulators; embedded innovative functions facilitate compliance with more stringent energy efficiency requirements, such as frequency reverse walking, soft-skip period (Soft-Skip?) mode; many functions can reduce electromagnetic Interference (EMI) signals help to comply with safety standards.
Table 2: Extensive lineup of AC-DC controllers and regulators
4) DC-DC controllers and regulators: integrated switching regulators ranging from 0.5 A to 10 A, with various topology options, including buck, boost, buck/boost and inverting; wide The input voltage range is up to 200V, and the PWM controller can drive up to 30 A current.
Table 3: DC-DC regulator product lineup
Table 4: DC-DC controller product lineup
5) Linear regulator: voltage drop to 40 mV, output current range from 80mA to 3 A, power supply rejection ratio up to 90 dB, ultra-fast transient response less than 1 μs, 2.5 μA ultra-low quiescent current (Iq) and Ground current (Ignd)
Table 5: List of linear regulator products
6) Various power conversion MOSFETs: This type of power devices can be divided into several categories, such as ORing MOSFETs with low conduction loss and low RDS(on), whose IM bus ORing is 30 V, and 48 V bus ORing is 100 V; isolated Topological structure DC-DC (brick) MOSFET, providing low conduction loss and low RDS(on), integrated with low lossSchottky diodes, Thermally enhanced SO-8 FL is suitable for applications that require heat dissipation; non-isolated topology step-down DC-DCMOSFET, in addition to low conduction loss and low RDS (on) characteristics, it also integrates Schott that improves light-load efficiency Base diode, thermally enhanced SO-8 FL package is suitable for applications that require heat dissipation.
7) MOSFET drivers: These devices provide two outputs and can drive high-voltage power MOSFETs and IGBTs. They are suitable for a variety of topologies (such as half-bridge, asymmetric half-bridge, active clamp, and full-bridge), with a voltage range up to 600 V , DV/dt immunity is ±50 V/ns, compatible with industry standard pin-to-pin.
8) Channel-based Schottky diode: This type of device has the characteristics of low Vf and high operating temperature capability, which helps to improve energy efficiency.
9) Voltage reference: accurate reference voltage from 0.9 V to 2.5 V, strict voltage tolerance of 0.4% to 3%, output voltage range up to 36 V; in addition, it also has the characteristics of low dynamic impedance, low noise and stable operation , The rich package includes surface mount and through hole.
Comprehensive power advantage
ON Semiconductor uses its rich power expertise, solutions and products to help designers quickly improve system energy efficiency. These products and solutions can save energy and provide cost-effective power supplies to meet changing global energy efficiency standards. Energy-efficient power solutions can help customers complete the challenges of improving the energy efficiency of their products, such as low standby mode energy consumption, high working mode energy efficiency, and power factor correction. ON Semiconductor has an extensive network of design and application resources around the world, and field application engineers provide customer-centric support to help customers optimize power supply designs.